Saturday, February 11, 2012


An Introduction to Dead Gear and Daedalus Games

Welcome to my design blog. Well, I'm guessing you'd like to know what Dead Gear even is.

 It is a 2D platformer/shooter homage to the Metroidvania genre, and the golden era of SNES platformers, RPGs, and shooters.

It follows a young, magic-wielding girl who's crashed her airship into a strange place, and becomes determined to find her missing friends and find a way out. In true Metroidvania fashion, it is very exploratory-based, but unlike most in the genre, there is dialogue and an engaging story with multiple endings.








Growing up in the late 80s and 90s, I have fond memories of every platformer game I've ever played, and I want to recreate that feeling in Dead Gear. In an industry increasingly putting emphasis on graphics (and dumbing down for maximum accessibility), over gameplay, complexity, creativity and content; I think indie games are an extremely important factor in gaming's future.

It's my first foray into the dog-eat-dog indie gaming world, with most of my older game work being dedicated to modding. But one day I slapped my head and went 'why am I redesigning games with mods when I could make my own game?'

And so, in January of 2012, I created a small team as Daedalus Games and began work in my spare time. If you'd like to follow me in my journey of game design, then hop aboard, you're free to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment